Dimensions: about 9,5 cm (3,75 inches) long by 5 cm (2 inches) wide (sole)
Needle size: 4mm – US 6 (and 3,5 mm – US 4)
Yarn: Schoeller und Stahl Merino Mix (or any other Aran (8wpi) yarn), you will need less than 50 g
Construction: You start knitting the sole back and forth. After you picked up stitches around the edge of the sole, you join in-the-round and shape the shoes with decreases. You complete the booties by working the cuff ribbing. The entire construction is seamless.
- st(s) = stitch(es)
- k = knit
- m1 = make 1
- k2tog = knit 2 together
- p = purl
Sole: With 4mm/US 6 cast on 6 sts. (knit back and forth)
- Row 1: k all (WS)
- Row 2: k1, m1, k4, m1, k1 (8 sts)(RS)
- Row 3: k all
- Row 4: k1, m1, k6, m1, k1 (10 sts)
- Row 5 – 33: k all (now the work has 17 garter stitch ridges and is about 8 cm (3,15 inches) long)
- Row 34: k1, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k1 (8 sts)
- Row 35: k all
- Row 36: k1, k2tog, k2, k2tog, k1 (6 sts)
- Row 37: k all
Now the work measures approximately 9 cm (3,5 inches) by 4.5 cm (1,75 inches).
Shaping the shoe and cuff ribbing: Join in-the-round.
- After finisching the first part, you pick up 40 sts around the edge of the sole (from the wrong side of the work): 18 sts from each side and 4 sts from the edge of the cast-on. With the 6 sts of the first part, now you have 46 sts in total on your needles. (Note: Don’t worry, if you haven’t picked up the exact number of stitches. You can correct it later before the ribbing.) Now you join in-the-round. (Mark the beginning of the round. There, the heel will be later.)
- Round 1: p all
- Round 2 – 6: k all
- Round 7: k 26, place marker (it marks the middle of the toe), k to the end of the round (if you have a different number of stitches on your needles, you have to adjust the placement of the marker)
- Round 8: k to 6 sts before marker, k2tog 3 times, slip marker, k2tog 3 times, k to the end of the round (40 sts)
- Round 9: k all
- Round 10: k to 6 sts before marker, k2tog 3 times, slip marker, k2tog 3 times, k to the end of the round (34 sts)
- Round 11: k all
- Round 12: k to 6 sts before marker, k2tog 3 times, slip marker, k2tog 3 times, k to the end of the round (28 sts)
- Round 13: k all (Note: This round is a preparation for the cuff. It may be necessary to increase or decrease the number of stitches to a multiple of 4 for a 2×2-rib, or if desired, to an even number for a 1×1-rib.
Now work k2/p2 (this was my choice) or k1/p1 ribbing for 7 cm (2,75 inches). You can change to a smaller needle size (3,5 mm/US 4 for example), if you prefer a tighter cuff. (I knit very tightly, so I did not change the needle size.) Bind off loosely and weave in the ends. Work the second shoe just the same.